What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM which eliminates the need for a physical SIM card. With eSIM, you can quickly and easily transfer an existing cellular plan or get a new cellular plan, all digitally. You can even store multiple eSIMs on the same device and use two phone numbers at the same time. And it's more secure - someone cannot remove the physical SIM card if your iPhone is lost or stolen. In just a few simple steps, you are ready to make calls, send messages, and browse the web.
Are all phones eSIM compatible?
Not all phones are compatible with eSIM since it's such a new technology. While some of the new smartphones have the technology, PureTalk currently supports eSIM for iPhones only. Android devices are not yet supported. No worries though, if your phone is not eSIM compatible we'll ship you a physical SIM card via FedEx 2-day. Below is a list of compatible phone models, or check your compatibility using the [module below](/esim). Compatible iPhone Models: iPhone 15, iPhone 14, iPhone 13, iPhone 12 and the iPhone 11 series as well as the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max iPhone XR.
My iPhone is compatible so how do I sign up for PureTalk service using my device's eSIM?
Great! First you have to choose your [plan](/cell-plans), then we'll provide you the activation steps right after you checkout online.
How do I view my eSIM number?
To see your device's eSIM number, open the dial pad on your phone, then dial *#06#. If the phone has an eSIM, it will say 'EID' followed by a 32-digit number.
What does it mean when an eSIM compatible device is DUAL SIM? How does it work?
DUAL SIM devices that are eSIM compatible simply means the device has both an eSIM and physical SIM card slot.
Can I use 2 eSIMs at the same time?
Currently only the iPhone 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max, iPhone 14 series and iPhone 15 series allow you to use 2 eSIMs at the same time.
What are some advantages of using an eSIM?
- It is easier and faster than ever to switch your service to a new carrier. You can instantly activate your eSIM with PureTalk right after you checkout online or with a PureTalk sales agent, instead of having to wait for a physical SIM card to be shipped.
- eSIMs can support up to 5 programmed carriers, although all you'll ever need is PureTalk!
- It's easy to swap to a new carrier as the data on eSIMs can be reprogrammed (or, in some cases, can be downloaded onto another slot on the eSIM). Whereas physical SIM cards cannot be reprogrammed. This means with eSIMs, your switch to PureTalk is almost instantaneous!
- Your phone can have two SIM cards (and thus two phone numbers) on one Dual SIM device. This can be beneficial for someone like a business owner who wants both a personal line as well as a business line and does not want to carry around two phones.
- Travelling internationally? Though PureTalk does not offer international roaming, as an eSIM user you can simply buy a physical SIM card when you arrive at your international destination, and place it in the SIM card slot of your Dual SIM device.
- eSIMs are improving future devices. Without the need for a SIM tray, it will be possible to make thinner, lighter devices (i.e. phones, tablets, laptops and wearable tech). Many believe eSIMs are the future, and it is only a matter of time before physical SIM cards become obsolete.
Are there any disadvantages to using an eSIM?
- You can't use an eSIM for older phones, since it's such a new technology.
- Because an eSIM is embedded in your device, it cannot be swapped to a new phone like a physical SIM card can.
Can I switch from a physical PureTalk SIM card to PureTalk eSIM?
Absolutely, as long as you are using a compatible iPhone model.
1. Please make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi before continuing to the next step.
2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular.
3. Tap Convert to eSIM.
4. Tap Convert Cellular Plan
5. Tap Convert to eSIM
6. Wait for the eSIM to activate. The previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
7. Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone and then restart your device.
How do I activate my eSIM?
First, you need a data connection (i.e., Wi-Fi or a cellular connection from another mobile network carrier).
I accidentally deleted my eSIM. How do I get it back?
Please contact our Customer Service at (877) 820-7873 and one of our agents will assist you with retrieving your eSIM.
How to factory reset my iPhone without deleting my eSIM?
Go to 'Settings' Select 'General' Select 'Reset' Select 'Erase All Content & Settings Select 'Erase iPhone Select 'Erase All and Keep Mobile Plans' Do not choose 'Erase All', otherwise any plans on your eSIM will be removed.
How do I enable/disable eSIM profile?
The steps below apply to the Apple iPhone XS / XS Max and newer models.
- From a Home screen, navigate: Settings then Cellular - Then do one of the following: To turn on: - From the 'CELLULAR PLANS' section, tap the line for the eSIM.
- If no plan is listed and 'Add Cellular Plan' is the only option, contact Customer Service at (877) 820-7873 to have an eSIM profile reserved for your device.
- Tap Turn On This Line switch to turn on Switch on icon. To turn off:
- Tap the Turn On This Line switch to turn off Switch off icon. - If using Dual SIM, from the 'CELLULAR PLANS' section, tap the line for the eSIM, tap Turn On This Line switch then tap - Ok to confirm.
- This following option is only available when both the physical SIM card and eSIM are activated.
- Tap Desired Cellular Plan
I'm having trouble installing/activating my eSIM? What should I do?
Still having trouble? Our Technical Support team is happy to help! Call us at 800-768-4360.
Where can I learn more about eSIM technology?
Visit the Apple eSIM support page for more about eSIM technology.
Ready to make the switch to PureTalk with your eSIM compatible device?
You can get a PureTalk eSIM by going here to choose a plan and activate your iPhone with a PureTalk eSIM.
Which iPhone models support eSIM?
iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later support eSIM. If you purchased an iPhone 14 or above, your iPhone does not have a physical SIM tray, and will only activate with an eSIM.
Which Android models support eSIM?
PureTalk does not yet support eSIM for Android.
How do I activate a PureTalk eSIM on iPhone?
PureTalk supports eSIM Activation where PureTalk assigns you an eSIM to your iPhone digitally at the time of purchase or you may request an eSIM by contacting customer service at (877) 820-7873.
If you contacted PureTalk for an eSIM after you setup your iPhone, please follow the steps below:
1. Please make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi before continuing to the next step. 2. When a notification appears which says Carrier Cellular Plan Ready to Be Installed, tap it. 3. In the Settings app, tap Carrier Cellular Plan Ready to Be Installed. 4. Tap Continue, at the bottom of the screen. 5. Make a call on your iPhone to check its cellular connectivity. If you cannot make a call, contact a PureTalk agent at (877) 820-7873. 6. If the plan you activated replaces the plan on your physical SIM, remove your physical SIM. Then restart your iPhone.
You can learn more about eSIM on iPhone here.
How do I transfer my phone number to my new iPhone 15?
PureTalk also supports eSIM Quick Transfer, where you can transfer your phone number from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone.
You can even convert your physical SIM to an eSIM when you transfer your number.
While you are setting up your iPhone, if you are asked to transfer your SIM, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM or eSIM.
If you need to transfer more than one SIM to your new iPhone, transfer your additional SIMs following the steps below:
1. Please make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi before continuing to the next step. 2. On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan. 3. Choose a cellular plan to transfer from another iPhone. If you don't see a list of numbers, tap Transfer from Another iPhone. This requires both devices to have iOS 16 or later. 4. Check for instructions on your previous iPhone to confirm the transfer. To confirm, tap Transfer or, if asked for a verification code, enter the code displayed on your new iPhone. 5. Wait for the cellular plan to activate on your new iPhone. Your previous SIM is deactivated when the cellular plan on your new iPhone activates. 6. If a banner appears on your new iPhone which states Finish Setting Up Your Carrier's Cellular Plan, tap it. You will be redirected to PureTalk's webpage to transfer your eSIM.
How do I move my phone number from my Android device to an eSIM on my new iPhone 14?
Please contact our Customer Service at (877) 820-7873 and one of our agents will assist you in moving your number from your Android device to a PureTalk eSIM on your new iPhone14.
How do I activate an iPhone with eSIM if I do not have access to a Wi-Fi network?
If you have an eSIM only iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro model and you do not have a Wi-Fi network, Apple has a new solution to activate your eSIM. During the Setup process, you can choose to continue without Wi-Fi. This allows you to setup your new eSIM without Wi-Fi --at no cost to you.
Are all PureTalk customers able to use an eSIM on an iPhone?
Yes all customers are able to use an eSIM on an iPhone, as long as they have a supported iPhone model. iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later support eSIM
How do I get a PureTalk eSIM if I am not purchasing my iPhone from PureTalk?
Click here to get started!
How do I know if my iPhone is unlocked?
1. Go to Settings > General, and tap About. 2. Under Carrier Lock, you should see a message that says 'No SIM restrictions.' If you don't see that message, contact your carrier.
Will activating an eSIM lock my iPhone to PureTalk?
Your devices lock status is not impacted by the use of an eSIM. All PureTalk phones are sold unlocked.
What should I do if my iPhone is lost or stolen with an active eSIM?
Please contact our Customer Service at (877) 820-7873 and one of our agents will assist you in suspending your service until you find your phone or replace your iPhone.
What happens to my cellular plan if I erase my eSIM?
Please contact our Customer Service at (877) 820-7873 and one of our agents will assist you with replacing your eSIM.
Can I still use my PureTalk eSIM if I travel internationally?
If you are travelling to Canada and Mexico login to your account to add 'International Roaming' to your plan for $10. You can choose to add this one time (good for one month) or to add it every month recurring. Once you purchase this add-on, your eSIM will work in Canada and Mexico just as it does in the United States. If you are travelling outside of the US, Canada, or Mexico your PureTalk service will not work.
If I am traveling to the United States from abroad, can I download a local eSIM on PureTalk's network?
Yes you can purchase PureTalk service and download an eSIM if you are living abroad and planning to travel to the United States soon. Your PureTalk service will start working when you land in the United States.
What is Dual SIM?
Dual SIM allows users to use two phone numbers at the same time. For example, you can use one number for business and another number for personal. Or you can add a local data plan when you travel outside of the country or region. You can learn more about Dual SIM with an eSIM here.
This website collects and processes personal information, including first and third-party cookies,
heat mapping, session replay, persistent trackers, and similar analytics technologies (e.g.,
MetaPixel) (collectively, “technologies”) to help us operate this website, conduct analytics,
provide you with a more personalized user experience, and provide advertisements. The
information we collect from you through these technologies is shared with certain of our third-
party partners, including advertising, social media, and analytics partners. Further use of our
website will indicate your agreement to and acknowledgement of our use of technologies, the
Terms and Conditions, which includes a binding
arbitration clause and jury trial waiver.